Thursday, March 02, 2006

:(

I am closed up in my office crying right now. I just talked to the vet. Hendrix has diabetes! I have to shoot him up with a needle everyday!

It's weird, before he even started showing any symptoms (drinking lots and peeing lots, losing weight), I feared diabetes. This fear stemmed from his being so overweight--I thought, if there had to be a risk with his obesity it was sure to be diabetes. Well, I was right. That sixth-sense that every kitty mama has.

I don't know all of the details yet, just that I have to take him in tomorrow morning so they can show me how and where the needle should go. I hate needles, I dread this. I will have to take him back every few days to monitor his glucose levels, then I have to learn how to test it myself. This means lots and lots of monitoring and attention and time and money. We can't just leave him for a few days to fend for himself anymore. I have to find someone who is willing and able to give him his shots while we are gone, even if it is only for 2 nights.

Of course, I will do whatever it takes to ensure a happy healthy life for Mr. Jimi. But the poor guy doesn't even know what's coming! I have such a soft spot for animals and that spot has been pushed right now! Tears!

I guess nobody goes through life without any health problems. In the end, this might be very good for me...to be a caretaker and to help me get over my fear of medical procedures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home