Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Just thought you should know.

Upon the recommendation of my boyfriend, who never buys ANYTHING, I just finished a rather life-changing book: Affluenza.

True to form, I have shitloads to say about it. But since I just spent 45 minutes bitching about the book and the ills of our society to a co-worker and I've done gone and made myself TIRED of the topic, I'll let you read it for yourselves.

But you have to promise to read it, OK? Promise? I even gave you a head start by linking to its Amazon page, where you can buy it - APPROPRIATELY - used for a mere 6 bucks.

(Better yet: We got it from the LIBRARY 'cause that's how we roll. Sniff. Sniff.)

Suffice it to say, this book was yet another avenue to sad and gloomyville. Instead of getting all accusatory up in society's hypothetical grill (why am I speaking like a gangsta bitch?), let's talk about me for approximately one second. Me, and how absolutely crappy I feel that I am one of these people. I consume tons of shit with the best (er, worst) of them. And it really does make me feel all empty and gross inside. Even more empty than the emptiness I started with.

Hey. I said approximately one second and that's all you get. I am not having a happy week. I know why. It'll pass. I still made it to yoga last night - POWER yoga, mind you - and an ass-kicking class over lunch today. I'm trying. It's just that there are some areas of my life that are hollow and yuck right now and it is seriously bringing me down.

Down down downtown Julie Brown.

4 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Blogger Howard said...

It sounds like all it made you feel was guilty, but then I was brought up Mormon so I have a thing against people and things pushing the 'guilty' button.

You could always become Amish. Oh, wait. Some asshole destroyed their simpler way of life for the next few years.

Ugh, what I wouldn't give for a tiny news story that was full of rainbows, lollipops and unicorns right now.

Rosie, you need to market something called Rosalicious-Tinted Sunglasses that make you feel okay for a while without the guilt and physical affects of drugs and alcohol.

Can you alter reality for us for a while? Thanks in advance!

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Rosie said...

OMFG- the GUILT is crippling!!! And the fear- that too. All I could think of was how HOT it's going to be when my grandchildren are grown b/c of all the assholes who buy hummers and drive them to dinner at Outback Steakhouse en route to Costco.

(The book said the biggest environmental/consumer sin you could commit was driving your SUV to a steakhouse)

I really need to stop watching and reading this depressing shit.

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we usually feel guilt for a reason.

those reasons aren't always valid.

so what are you go TO DO about it?

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt like puking for a solid week after I saw Al Gore's movie.

Not to be depressing or morbid, but the more polluted/jaded/Republican-controlled this world becomes, the worse it WILL be.

That's why we take baby steps. We might move forward slowly, but we do move forward. Everything we see around us might make us think 'WTF are we doing here'...but we're still here and at the end of the day we all do what we can.

You and Kev are admirable in so many choices you DO make. You are wonderful, loving and giving people who truly care about the animals, family and friends in your family. You do the right things for the right reasons.

None of us is perfect in our personal lives...sweetie, I could write a book about my past ways of consumerism that got us (when I was an us) into scary deep debt. BUT...I saw the signs and made good changes.

And that is the light at the end of the tunnel. When we correct areas of our life that need correcting and the gratitude we feel when we succeed. It is a powerful feeling Rosie...but you can't get there unless you start in a not-so-good place.

You have a wonderful opportunity in front of you. Next step is yours...Good Luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home