Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Full-on registered Dem.

So. Some good things came out of this election: the minimum wage will increase, the Dems now have some fothermucking power (hells yeah), we won't have a douchebag like Bob Beauprez as our governor...

But Jesus! How on earth can the Dems sweep Congress, the country now have mostly Democratic governors....and yet? The people in this state still voted for a man near as white supremacist as one might get (Tancredo, and the man has a hideously bulbous nose), a woman who flat-out exemplifies the words HATE and DISCRIMINATION (and is GW's biznatch, to boot), and pass an AMENDMENT.....an AMENDMENT saying that marriage is only between a man and a woman? Those of you who wavered - you just put something like this in our state constitution FOR GOOD.

When are people going to join the 21st Century? Hello? Jim Crow? Are we stuck in the 60s? My god, when are people going to wake up and realize that GAY PEOPLE ARE JUST REGULAR PEOPLE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AND THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT FUCKING IS? UUUGGGGGH, I am so disappointed. Maybe I am even more disappointed that Ref. I didn't pass. Who in good conscious could actually go into a voting booth and vote to DENY basic rights to people? Do these people actually feel good about themselves? Sometimes I wish that some magic dust would settle upon the world and make everyone gay for a week so maybe everyone would get a fucking clue.

Anyway. Enough with the F-Bombs, so unladylike.

(Oh wait. Just one more: Fucking Virginia! My motherland! Go JIM WEBB!!!!!)

I guess the good thing is that Tancredo or Musgrave, whatever. Both will get their asses kicked now in Congress anyway =)

And no. No one ever said I tried to be bi-partisan. Cliche alert: If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything. I know I am super opinionated and preachy and up on a high horse most of the time.** But I believe strongly and fully in what I think is right. And if that's a downfall, so be it. At least I know where my values lie. I actually know a girl who made her election decisions based solely on TV COMMERCIALS. She said she didn't know where to find the information. She voted for Musgrave because she thought Angie Paccione "looked scary." That is so so so very sad.

** New development: Law school. As in, I am seriously looking into taking the LSATS. I had an epiphany in Mexico. (Thank you, Sara). I've always thought about it, now I may act on it. Funny though, I told my plan to Kev and he goes "I was thinking about going to law school too."

10 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger African Kelli said...

I'd hire you. Want to be my counsel?

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go, Rosie! You would fothermucking rock as a fothermucking lawyer!

Oh, one of the people I met canvassing told me this as a joke!

"Didn't you know the pledge of alliegiance has been changed? You know, the part where it says 'For Liberty and Justice for all...unless you are guy, lesbian, pro-choice, hispanic, liberal, etc, etc, etc.

I am as tired as you are of the stoooopidness in the areas of recognizing basic legal rights. So that means we have to work even harder next time it is on the ballot, cause we WILL see this in the next election!

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, if you REALLY want to make change happen, run for office. I will volunteer right now, officially, to head up your Volunteer coodination.

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, so many things to comment on here.

i agree fully with everything you said except this: you don't have to be "preachy and up on a high horse" to believe strongly and fully in what you think is right. you just have to believe it. but i also think politics are a lot like sex, some people like to brag about it, some people like to keep it private, but regardless, a persons bedroom behavior/politics are rarely fundamentally wrong, just not understood. i'm not going to hold it against someone for voting a certain way because, "that's the way their father voted" or because "they just didn't understand the issue" or they "had a gut feeling" or "their minister explained to them what was 'really' happening". in fact i can't bring myself to hold it against (or even think it is sad) that anyone has voted in anyway at all. they voted. if they didn't vote they way, or for the reasons, that you want, that's your own fault.

sorry, i'll get off my soapbox. sorry it seems like i just come over here and cause trouble or throw insults. i guess i'm opiniated and on a high hoarse too :)

great entry rosie! i love it when they get me a little worked up (hard to do).

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Howard said...

I think the funniest thing I've read so far is on Pam's Home Brew where co-poster said, "Great Election Night... unless you're a gay pothead".

I know you're asking why am I laughing. Defense mechanism. I guess I'm just used to the nonacceptance of the 'slight' majority because I want to try to have a healthy relationship with a guy named Cameron.

I knew that the amendment would go through and disappointed that Ref I lost, but I still hold to my opinion that the Ref I campaign made it too much about same sex relationships and should have focused more on a basic rights for ALL unmarried couples.

The one that pissed me off the most was the extremely narrow win of the minimum wage increase. I can't believe that there are that many people in this state who are so well off that they wouldn't be concerned for those who are working their asses off trying to support themselves and, even worse, a family, too, on the current minimum pay rate.

I honestly think that narrow win goes hand in hand with Amendment 43 and Ref. I. People in this and many other states can't handle social change and I don't understand it. They only want to preserve their antiquated, white-based power centers.

This all seems so negative, but am I happy that checks and balances have been reintroduced into our administration and it's already shaking things up, but America seems to be the slowest moving country in the world when it comes to social change.

Ironically, this refusal to change is, at times, all based on a belief in an 'all-powerful' being whose only appearance is in a book which simply teaches lessons on how to be a descent person -- like Aesop's fables. I don't begrudge anyone their belief systems (unlike everyone major religion who came in and sweep out the old one - anyone remember the Roman or pagan gods?) but they HAVE to stop using them as a tool to force people to be their clone. Or to guilt people into something they don't want to begin with. Or force them to hide their real feelings in order to fit in. Or.. Or... Or...

And when are people who allow themselves to be molded going to realize that breaking out of a comfort zone, say if Haggard had actually come out years ago, is not the end of the world, but the beginning of a new one.

Stop being sheep!

...and that wasn't very focused, but hopefully you get my point.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Howard said...

Oh, and that would be cool if were to become a fiery lawyer. Would love to watch your cases. :)

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Rosie said...

everyone is entitled to their views. these just happen to be MY views. this is MY blog, don't forget.

and i know there are people who think i'm wrong, and they are perfectly entitled to think so. there are people i care for very much who don't agree with me.

and...that's all i will say about that. this entry was not at all about diplomacy. just pure, raw, post-election emotion.

(the politics and sex analogy was very good, by the way.)

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Rosie said...

howard, i just read your comment and i couldn't agree MORE about the ALL un-married couples thing....being an un-wedded person in a committed heterosexual relationship, i wondered where that part was.

and, yay comments!!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger hotdrwife said...

What absolutely GREAT comments on a very passionate and well-said ('cause I love me some f-bomb's) post!

And I'm kind of giggling at the 'because Paccione looked scary' bit. She needs some help in the hair do department.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Hubs said...

haha. i know it's your blog and your opinions rosie, i wouldn't come here if they weren't.

man i thought i was gonna have the comment of the day and then howard comes along!

I got so wraped up in my last comment i forgot to say this: G has been in practice for a few years now. if you asked her she would tell you to think twice about being a lawyer (if that's what your thinking, i have a handful of friends with law degrees working for non-profs and social services, all these bleeding hearts tend to hang around in packs) but she'd say "go for it" to law school. she would also say that you're absolutely nuts if you and kev tried to do it at the same time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home