Friday, November 24, 2006

Love from the Bluegrass State.

Today is one holiday that both Kevin and I stand firmly behind:

BUY NOTHING DAY.

(Although, do beers and movie tickets count?)

Life out here in the Cincy 'burbs revolves around this holiday.....people extracting multiple bags of crap from Wal-Mart, Kohl's, and Old Navy from the trunks of their SUVs... bags of cheaply made shit that they don't really need, shit that was apprehended by pushing and shoving and waiting in long lines in hot, bright lighting....

God, nothing could sound less appealing.

You wouldn't believe how many people out here (I say out here like it's Siberia....Kev's family lives close to the city, albeit in total suburbia. If someone made a brochure representing the all-American picture of Suburbia, well, jesus, Villa Hills would be it) already have their Christmas lights up. People here particularly LOVE the big inflatable Christmas characters and winding white metal trees.

Back to beers and movie tickets. We just saw Borat. I found it hysterical. Does this make me a bad person? I feel like I should be saying it offended me and made me uncomfortable, because that would be, like, totally PC.

Plus, who starts a blog post proclaiming the importance of Buy Nothing Day, and then proceeds to extol the virtues of a movie that rips on basically every religious and cultural group in the US?

I guess that would be me, suckers. That movie was hilarious!

Well, I am out of my blogging element here. I am also petrified of having this URL show up in the history on this computer...my Mom already reads it, and even that freaks me out some. I ceraintly don't need a certain someone else's family knowing that I'm not the sweet little thing I purport to be.

Speaking of sweet little things, my friend Sarah is on her way up from Louisville and lucky Kev! He gets to drive us around all night!

We are eating and drinking lots and my jeans still fit. Hope yours do too!

xoxoxo

2 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger Howard said...

Glad someone else didn't shop today. I was livid when someone had set up a table in front of Diedrich's coffee to sell crappy telescopes and some stuffed crap (I'm saying crap instead of shit now that I know you're mom reads this).

When they asked me to step up and check things out I said no thanks that I'm not buying anything today except what I need to survive like the food I had in my bag (which I showed them -- it was dinner for work at the video store) and then told them that I really didn't appreciate them setting up their crap table on one of my favorite corners on a day already stuffed full of retail hell. And then walked on.

The sickening part was they were HAPPY to be out there selling this cheap crap and they were in business attire to do it.

It was like a David Lynch movie.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a long time adbusters subscriber i believe food and movie tickets count. but whatev it really doesn't mean anything it's just another 2% club. i watched "jesus is magic" which must have been one of the funniest and un PC things i've seen in a looooooong time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home