Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Green buildings and camel toes.

I was thisclose to calling in to work this morning. We went out last night and had drinks. On a school night. People, I am old. I can't handle these kind of shenanigans anymore. I am sooooooo tired and thirsty today.

Kevin is attending the Greenbuild conference this week and so last night, as one of the Greenbuild events, we walked around LoDo, toured some nice sustainably-built, LEED certified (go me with the new terminology!) buildings, met some architects and planners who actually give a fuck about the environment, and saw some art.

Mostly, we just drank the free wine and ate the free cheese.

Kev automatically had the "in" since he's part of that whole architect/planner/green builder/environmental scene. Yeah, that and he also had the official conference badge. But me? Hello! Don't mind me! I am just the young-lookin' scrub throwing down multiple soy-plastic biodegradable cups of your free organic wine!

That is.....until I started marketing myself. (Or until I got drunk, both are equally as responsible for my change in "in" status). Now, there is absolutely no shame in networking it. Especially when one is perpetually searching for a new job. And when you are someone whose skills include RAISING MONEY? All kinds of people suddenly want your digits. OK, I exaggerate...some. I work at a nationally-renowned engineering school (yeah, like you haven't figured that out- go look at your IP addresses, people!) and so that alone was helpful last night in schmoozing with the conference people. And even though I was sporting post-yoga attire, I still managed to score several business cards and dig deep in my purse to distribute some of my own. You just never know who is going to come rescue you from your life of boredom and gloom!

The Greenbuild LoDo Walk culminated at Sing, Sing, of all places. My memories of Sing, Sing are mostly hazy, seeing as the BuzzBucket for Bachelorettes is one of their specialties, and of those I have had many. But I discovered last night that not only is it a good place for bachelorettes, it is a good place for conference people. (Although I'm sure the guy who crouched on stage like some weird rabid mouse or the guy who sang REO's Speedwagon's "Don't Stop Believing" in front of all his colleagues might not agree.) I think overall it is a fun place for co-workers to get shitfaced together, and if anything, will provide stories to tell the rest of the office upon arrival home - "There were these girls who sat sexily upon the dueling pianos, thinking they were getting their big moment to sing their number, and instead they got a song sung to them about their nasty camel toes."

(Really. It was hilarious. All I can think about today is PINK TACOS.)

Anyway. 'Twas fun to go out on a Tuesday, even though we got home late and now I am supremely tired and in a carb-consuming rage.

Before I go, look who has a new boyfriend! Are they a match made in heaven, OR WHAT? Lucy + Rufus = TLA.


(I love Lucy's toothy grin in this picture.)

4 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger hotdrwife said...

We have a friend in town for that conference. He's coming to our house for dinner this weekend ... and all of this reminds me that we should call him and make real plans.

I think I was naked outside of Sing-Sing's once. I can't be certain. Damn, early 20's.

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...cutesy-pootsy little Lucy Lu has a beau!

Hey girlie, met a successful politician last night that started out in...are you ready for this?...FUNDRAISING. University Fundraising, to be exact.

Will hit ya up via email with more info.

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you serious? "Don't Stop Believing" by REO Speedwagon? Look, please don't make musical references unless you've got it right. "Close" doesn't count. "Don't Stop Believing" was done by Journey. REO did "Keep On Loving You" and "Can't Stop This Feeling", amoung countless others.

Sheesh.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Rosie said...

Ohmigod.....are YOU serious?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home