Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Why the hell doesn't Denver have an Ikea yet?

About forty-eight hours ago, a friend remarked how fun setting up a new house was. I basically flicked her off and returned to my grunting, sweating, and scrubbing. Fun. Right.

Well! I've since given her a big kiss and invited her over for martinis. It is fun! I had forgotten!

I've always put a lot of effort and thought into the places I've lived. Even as a wee one I was always rearranging my bedroom and setting my knick-knacks on dressers and shelves just so. And so it is now, me being obsessed with object placement and color coordination. Poor Kevin, he doesn't even try. He knows I'll put it my way sooner or later because I am and always will be the QUEEN OF OUR DOMAIN!

Today I reacquainted myself with one of the highlights of setting up house: NEW STUFF. Fresh sponges, clean rugs, drawer organizers, new hangers, paper towel holders, toilet scrubbers, sink caddies, doormats.......does anyone else get off on this shit or is it just me? Tarjay, me loves you long time!

A drawback, if truly there is one to this orgy of domestic consumption, is that I'm spending money on stuff to accommodate a RENTAL. I did it in the last house, and I'm doing it again now. The bed pillows don't match the bedroom curtains that were already there? They're outtie! The old kitchen rug doesn't go in the new kitchen? Trash it! Chair doesn't fit in that corner? Goodwill! Fan looks grungy next to newly painted crisp white walls? To the curb!

And so on.

Granted, not everyone cares about dishtowels and shower curtains, but I do. I know I'll only be in this place a year, but for 365 days I am damn sure going to relish my delightfully organized and arranged household.

And then do it all over again.

6 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger Howard said...

Yeah, you're a geek, but in a good way. It is fun to set up a new household. Of course, I actually enjoying doing laundry, too. Go fig'.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Krn said...

When I'm done with school I'm road trippin' to IKEA.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Rosie said...

Dude. I'm coming with you.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will be within 25 minutes of an IKEA in Chicago. Fingers crossed I can pay a visit. Don't hate me, ok??

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...and I am the same way whenever I move. TARGET is the siren call of all new spaces..you just GOTTA go!

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got excited just reading about your knick knacks being just so- it made me check out the knick knacks on my desk and re-arrange them just so.
some call it OCD, some call it heaven-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home