Monday, June 05, 2006

Homeless pets make me so very weepy.

Today at lunch I faced my fears and went to the Table Mountain Animal Shelter. NO! Not for a sweet new furry companion! (I wish!) I donated some stuff because I'm all philanthropic and shit.

I really can't handle the animal shelter. Hospitals...I'm OK, shelters....no way. It's too bad because animal rights is up there in the top 2 charities closest to my heart (the environment is the other). But emotionally, the shelter just works me! I don't think I'll ever get over it and be able to volunteer at one, as much as I'd like to.

The first time we went to the puppy rescue in search of Lucy, we had to leave before we even got her because I lost my shit. All those sad little puppies in cages....we got there late too, so almost all the puppies had already been adopted and the ones that were left just looked so lonely and pitiful. It damn near broke my heart. I cried for a long long time on the way home. I also had a major crying fit in the vet once because some lady had to say goodbye to her kitty, right there in the lobby. The tears were uncontrollable and I was traumatized all day by it.

I dropped off my goods today and even pet a few sad looking pit bulls outside who were awaiting adoption! No tears! Maybe I'm getting more hard-hearted in my old age ;-) I also think I want another doggie! I'm preparing myself.

1 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked with the Humane Society for 4 1/2 years..first as a Kennel Guide then as a Foster Mom for abandoned puppies...usually 2-3 weeks old.

Yes, there are sad situations but by volunteering you will see so many good things it will make you cry tears of joy. You have such a huge heart, Rosie...think about volunteering :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home